In 2017, the Lee County Department of Transportation began a Project Development & Environment (PD&E) Study to evaluate alternatives for bridge improvements or replacement. An alternatives public meeting was held on January 18, 2018. On December 18, 2018, the Lee Board of County Commissioners approved the fixed span bridge on the Gulf side of the existing bridge as the preferred build alternative to move forward in the PD&E Study. On January 28, 2021, a public hearing was held.
On October 21, 2021, the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), pursuant to 23 U.S.C. § 327 and a Memorandum of Understanding dated December 14, 2016, and executed by FHWA and FDOT, granted Location and Design Concept Acceptance for the Big Carlos Pass Bridge project on Estero Boulevard from Estrellita Drive to the Lovers Key State Park entrance.
Please see below for documents Public Hearing during the Project Development & Environment Study Phase.
Public Hearing Materials
January 28, 2021
- Rendering Board
- Preferred Alternative Roll Plot
- Meeting Handout
- PD&E Study Hearing Presentation
- Alternatives Analysis Memorandum
- Cultural Resource Assessment Survey
- Contamination Screening Evaluation Report
- Type 2 Categorical Exclusion
- Drainage Technical Memorandum
- Design Traffic Technical Memorandum
- Navigation Impact Summary Memorandum
- Natural Resources Evaluation Addendum
- Natural Resources Evaluation
- Noise Study Report
- Section 4(f) Exceptions/Exemptions Determination
- Water Quality Impact Evaluation Checklist